Day Care Education and Training in Maryland

by admin on April 14, 2011


Prior in becoming a licensed daycare or childcare provider, aspiring individuals must know first the state’s licensing requirements as it states the worker’s requirements and qualifications.

In the state of Maryland, enthusiastic daycare providers should age at least 20 years old and have attained secondary education, GED certification or any equivalent certification. In addition, daycare providers and staff should complete courses for credit from recognized college or university. Coursework includes 6 semester hours or 90 hours of approved training or CDA. With regards to the work experience, the state requires 1 year of supervised work in group program for preschoolers or as a registered family child care provider or a year of college or comparable combination of college and experience. Those daycare providers or teacher staff that is 19 years old and above that holds an associate degree in early childhood education or recreation.

Classes offered through the State

The state of Maryland has classes and degrees offered in the different universities and colleges that are similar to the other states of America. Those who intend to become daycare providers can take up degrees such as childhood education, childhood development, or childcare management. On the other hand, individuals who took up different courses or degrees has still the chance to work in the daycare or childcare industry as the state can credit or consider several courses which are closely related to childhood education with the condition that they have the same subject credits.

Child Care Laws, Child Growth and Development, Family and Community Relations, First Aid and CPR, Nutrition and Health, Psychology, and Small Business Management are the common classes included in childcare courses. Aside from these, basic education classes such as English, Mathematics, Sociology and others should also be taken up.

Certifications Given for Completed Classes

Certifications given in the state of Maryland does not differ from the certification given in other states of America. There are three most common credentials awarded to those aspiring daycare providers and staff, which is the CDA, CCP, and NAC. Note that these certifications are only given to those individuals who have completed required coursework, accomplished the required credit hours, and acquired the working experience even though it is minimal. All states of America require daycare providers and staff to attend trainings on CPR or cardio-pulmonary resuscitation and First Aid.

Furthermore, the state of Maryland may not have a specific certification that is exclusive to the state. Thus, the state’s departments which are assigned to the welfare of the children assures and continues to improve the quality of residential and foster care for children and youth by empowering the skills of the people in charge for everyday nurturing, care, and discipline of children either in residential facilities or foster home care. Several trainings are offered by the state and they are usually free of charge.

To gain the Child Development Associate credential or CDA, daycare providers must be a high school graduate or a holder of GED certification with 480 working hours and 120 hours for formal education with children in the last five years. The Certified Childcare Professional certificate is given to those daycare providers are intended for those daycare teachers who did not finish their college degree or taken up a different course.

Lastly, the state of Maryland offers the NAC or the National Administrator Credential designed for aspiring daycare managers and directors. This credential concentrates more on the management of the organization as well as the administration, site maintenance, and planning and development of childcare programs.

Cost of the Classes

The cost of classes for childcare degrees and courses can range from $2,500 to $20,000 per year. The tuition fee of universities and colleges in the state of Maryland is affected by several factors such as type of school, location of the school, and the degree you are currently enrolled.

Required Classes that Day Care Providers Should Take

Childcare courses or degrees are highly preferable and recommended for those individual who want to establish a career in daycare or childcare industry. In addition to the degrees, working experience and credit hours should also pass the requirement of the state.

The Director of the Childcare Center should always be present at least half of the operating hours each week except in circumstances such as occasional center-related activities or away on leave. Thus, it is important that the director should be present as he or she plans and supervise all aspects of the program for children, supervise the staff, and be available to staff, parents, and children.

The qualifications of daycare director/provider include:

  1. Should age at least 21 years old
  2. Completed and attained secondary education, holder of GED certificate, or any equivalent. The state can also recognize those who have finished at least two courses for credit from an accredited college or university.
  3. Have successfully completed:
    1. Approved pre-employment training in communicating with staff, parents, and the public; and
    2. 3 semester hours or their equivalent of approved administrative training, and either:
      1. 6 semester hours or 90 clock hours or their equivalent of approved pre-employment training; or
      2. Hold the Child Development Associate National Credential that is issued by the Council for Professional Recognition.
  4. He or she shall provide evidence of having completed approved continued training at the rate of at least 12 clock hours per full year of employment as a director according to the professional development plan consisting of a:
    1. Minimum of 6 clock hours of core of knowledge training; and
    2. Maximum of 6 clock hours of elective training.

Thus, there are private institutions that offer coursework for less than two or four years. CARE programs are accredited by the state of Maryland.

Links and Contact Information for Class Application

There are several departments in the state of Maine that handles childcare and family welfare. You can contact them for more information and inquiries regarding the licensing procedures, fees, classes required and the like. You can reach the following departments:

Child Care Licensing Agency
Maryland Department of Education
Division of Early Childhood Development
Office of Child Care
311 W. Saratoga Street, 1st Floor
Baltimore, MD 21201
Phone: (410) 767-7802
Toll Free: (800) 332-6347
Fax: (410) 333-8699

Head Start – State Collaboration Office
Division of Instruction and Early Learning
200 W. Baltimore Street, 5th Floor
Baltimore, MD, 21201
Phone: (410) 767-0140
Fax: (410) 333-2379

State Child Care Resource & Referral Contact
Maryland Committee for Children, Inc.
608 Water Street
Baltimore, MD 21202
Phone: (410) 752-7588
Fax: (410) 752-6286

Previous post:

Next post: