Day Care Education and Training in Indiana

by admin on March 31, 2011


The Indiana state law obliges daycare centers to have a license before taking care of children. Also, daycare providers must conform to the specific requirements of the state to guarantee the health, safety, and well-being of the children enrolled in the daycare.

The first step would be to contact the State Child Care Resource and Referral for the scheduling of orientation. The orientation will assist daycare providers on the basic information about daycare centers. Generally, there are two orientations; the first is about childcare business and the second orientation is about the licensing process, rules and regulations, child abuse and neglect reporting. After completing the second session, you will be given the daycare center application. Any local office should also be contacted to assure that no local laws and ordinances are being violated.

Classes offered through the State

For those who want to pursue a career in daycare center, one must take courses related childcare courses such as early childhood education, childhood development, or childcare management. These courses are important as they will allow daycare workers to understand the children’s behavior. These courses are obtainable in various universities and colleges in the state of Indiana.

Aside from the childcare courses, elementary education and the like are accepted by the state. Those people seeking to be daycare providers will need to earn the same credits of the subjects offered in those recommended childcare courses. Substitute or closely-related courses must have classes such as Day care operations, Child care finances, Communication with parents, Child safety, Activity planning.

Child development, Child psychology, First aid and CPR, Ethics of child care, Multicultural issues in day care are also included. General education classes should be taken up as well which is composed of Mathematics, English, Writing, and Computer subjects.

Certifications Given for Completed Classes

These certificates are common to all states of America and are generally given to those who have completed and finished the required coursework, credit hours, and working experience. The state of Indiana may not have a specific certification given to those daycare providers and staff.

CDA (Child Development Associate) and CCP (Certified Childcare Professional) are the two credentials given by different child care associations. The former is a credential given to an individual who have attained a high school diploma and worked with children for 480 hours and formal education for 120 hours in childcare, both in last five years. Aspiring daycare providers or teachers need not to worry if they do not have experience in child care or education (or both); they can still earn a CDA credential as there are preparation programs such as field work, course work, and final evaluation. On the other hand, CCP or Certified Childcare Professional is suited for teachers who do not have college degree or who have taken a different degree.

For those who want to become daycare managers and directors, you need to get a National Administrator Credential or the NAC, which tackles more on the organization of the staff, environment maintenance, and program development.

Other certificate required by the state is First Aid or Cardiopulmonary-Resuscitations Certificate. Coursework must first be completed to be able to obtain this certificate.

Cost of the Classes

The tuition rate for a childcare degree in Indiana is estimated to be $3,000 to $ 10,000 per year. this excludes, library fee and other miscellaneous fees. Tuition rate can vary depending on the specific degree you are taking and the location of the school as well. Private organization such as TEACH or CARE offers program coursework to earn a CDA or CCP credential. The rate is usually per credit hour, which normally cost $100. Included in the program are CPR or First Aid trainings. You can refer to the State Child Care Resource and Referrals for these private institutions.

Required Classes that Day Care Providers Should Take

To qualify for a position in daycare center in Indiana, one must be able to submit and pass all the requirements stated in the licensing standards of the state. For the daycare providers, one must be 21 years old and above and obtained a high school diploma and a degree related to childcare and completed the required total number of working experience such as 3 years of experience for early childhood program.


Caregivers or other teaching staff should be 18 years old and above. A high school diploma, GED, or any equivalent certification is also required. In addition, they must also know how to read and write as there are Emergency information, Prescription labels, First aid and emergency evacuation directives, Menus, Medical information, Special dietary information, Intake information on children to read and Accident reports and significant occurrences, the time and administering of medication, Diapering and feeding information, and The developmental progress of children.

Links and Contact Information for Class Application

The state’s department which handles childcare can be contacted for more inquiries and if there are clarifications. You can also ask them for schedule orientation as this is usually offered in the evening. You can communicate with the following departments:

Child Care Licensing Agency
Division of Family Resources
Bureau of Child Development – Licensing Section
402 West Washington Street, Room W-386
Indianapolis, IN 46204
Phone: (317) 232-1144
Toll Free: (877) 511-1144
Fax: (317) 234-1513

Head Start – State Collaboration Office
Bureau of Child Development
Division of Family and Children
402 West Washington Street, Room W386
Indianapolis, IN, 46204
Phone: (317) 233-6837
Fax: (317) 233-6093

State Child Care Resource & Referral Contact
3901 N. Meridian St., Suite 350
Indianapolis, IN 46208
Phone: (317) 924-5202
Toll Free: (800) 299-1627
Fax: (317) 924-5102

Previous post:

Next post: