Day Care Education and Training in Arizona

by admin on March 22, 2011


In the State of Arizona, they have established three different Licensing Standards for Day Care Centres, Family Day Care, and Group Homes.

In the Licensing Standards for Day Care Centres in Arizona, it has clearly defined the qualifications for day care providers as well as the qualification for day care staffs. The education and training needed is essential to the learning, safety, and over-all welfare of the children enrolled in day care centres.

Classes offered through the State

Similar to other states of America, Arizona offers various degrees or courses for childcare. Apparently, courses such as Early Childhood Education or Childhood Development are the most common courses for childcare. However, the state of Arizona allows other courses closely related to the above courses in childcare.

For those who plan to become day care providers, you can enrol to classes that are equivalent or similar to the classes of Early Childhood Education or Childhood Development. These degrees include Introduction to Early Childhood Education, Literacy Development, Special Needs Children, Keeping Records and Assessing Children, and Professional Behavior classes. General education classes are being taught to those aspiring day care providers and their staff, such as, Writing, Sociology, Science, Psychology, and Communication.

Certifications Given for Completed Classes

Similar to Alabama, the state of Alaska they are given certificates such as CCP, CDA, and NAC.

  • Certified Childcare Professional (CCP) – This credential is given to those individuals who intend to educate young children, particularly to those who demonstrate knowledge and skills in early childhood development.
  • Child Development Associate (CDA) – This certificate is given to those staffs or teachers that have completed at least 4.5 continuing education units or a 3-credit-hour course for renewal. Classes or courses that can be credited for CDA include early childhood education and development, mental health counseling and principles of adult learning. For those renewal candidates, they are required to acquire 80-hour work experience either with young children or their families in the previous years. They should also become a member of any local or national early childhood professional organization as well as earn first aid certification.
  • National Administrator Credential (NAC) – This certificate is intended for current and aspiring childcare managers and directors. Discussed issues include managing staff, maintaining facilities and developing programs. The NAC certification is required to be renewed every two (2) years through completion of 20-hour work in either business or administration.
  • Early Childhood Education Certificate (ECE) – This certificate is given to students who have a working knowledge in Early Childhood Education.

In some school districts, emergency certificates may be required and they are also being offered by the state. Also, training certifications are required especially certification in child care first aid and infant/child cardiopulmonary resuscitation.

Cost of the Classes

There are universities of Arizona that are offer childcare-related courses and they vary from university to university. In the department of Arizona, the courses are estimated to cost more than $1,000 to less than $7,000. The costs also differ from the length of the instruction as well as the fee and other costs.

The trainings are being provided by the state department and they are free of charge.

Required Classes that Day Care Providers Should Take

In the state of Arizona, aside from the education requirements, it is also important to know the age requirement for day care providers and the staff.

As stated in Arizona Licensing Standards for Day Care Centres, the provider must be 21 years old above while the staffs (or teacher-caregivers) should be at least 18 years old.

In terms of the education requirement, they should have a high school diploma, GED, or equivalent. Providers as well as the staff should have experience, undergone CDA programs. Degrees such as Associate Degrees or Bachelor Degrees in Early Childhood Education and other closely-related field is recommended.

Under the degrees mentioned are classes including child development and psychology. This will widen the understanding of day care providers and their staff about the behavior of the children. It is also important that providers and staff have experienced or observed children’s behavior in an actual scenario. Providers and their staff should also take child literature, English, math, sociology, and computer classes.

Links and Contact Information for Class Application

For those who want to establish their own daycare or interested in daycare job positions, you can contact your state departments for inquiries about day care classes, child care trainings, and the licensing standards.

Listed here are the Arizona government agencies that you can contact:

Child Care Licensing Agency
Arizona Department of Health Services
Office of Child Care Licensing
150 North 18th Avenue, Suite 400
Phoenix, AZ 85007
Phone: (602) 364-2539
Toll Free: (800) 615-8555
Fax: (602) 364-4768

Head Start – State Collaboration Office
Governor’s Office for Children, Youth, and Families
1700 West Washington, Suite 101
Phoenix, AZ, 85007
Phone: (602) 542-2391
Fax: (602) 542-4644

Child Care Resource & Referral Contact
Association for Supportive Child Care
3910 S. Rural Road, Suite O
Tempe, AZ 85282
Phone: (602) 244-2678
Toll Free: (800) 308-9000
Fax: (602) 244-2718

Previous post:

Next post: